Monday, December 13, 2010

Welcome to The Songbird Project!

So, this past week I was lying awake in bed thinking about what it means to write songs. The truth is, it means something different to each and every one of us. And that is a gift in and of itself.

I've heard songs over the past few years that have brought me to tears, made me jump up and down out of excitement, make me shake my head and praise God for letting "that" song be allowed to be written, and on and on. Songs are alive.

I have certain songs that take me back to the first day/place I ever heard it. When I'm in Chicago, I have to listen to "Real Love" from the Beatles' Anthology. When I'm in Birmingham, I have to listen to Elbow's recent album "The Seldom Seen Kid." I could keep going. And no matter where I am I always want to stand up when Handel's "Hallelujah Chorus" blesses the sound waves.

Back to lying in bed. I couldn't fall asleep because I kept wondering what it'd be like to be able to talk to and dialogue with other songwriters (or anyone who loves music, for that matter) about what songwriting means to them.

So I jumped out of bed and created this blog called "The Songbird Project." My hope is that, together, we could further the craft of songwriting. If one of us helps another writer want to keep writing songs, even when they may feel discouraged, then we have done our job. With a lot of little steps, we could make large strides.

I look forward to learning with you.

Keep writing,

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment