Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Finding Her Voice

A few days ago I flipped on NPR while driving home from writing. As I pulled into my driveway, I just sat in my car as I listened to a woman named Jan Christian struggle to get words over the airwaves. Christian was in a bad car accident as a teenager that left her voice box so damaged that it no longer produced any tones. Her husband, whom she met after the accident, had only ever heard her whisper.

As she talked about her longing to express emotions, I realized how often I take for granted the fact that I am able to do something as basic as talk or sing. Even our basic abilities are gifts, and that is humbling.

Thanks to some medical advancements, Christian is now retraining her vocal chords to produce tones. Listen to the NPR story here. I've also attached a local Kentucky news interview below.



------

Would you or someone you know like to go on a songwriting retreat with industry professionals? Visit SongbirdCamp.com for more details!

No comments:

Post a Comment