Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Questions - How?

How do you write songs?

Each of us naturally writes songs in a way that is unlike anyone else in the world. However, it's important to be aware of the many external pressures that can affect the way we create. It's easy to get off the right path for the wrong reasons.

When I graduated from and began pursuing a publishing deal, I began trying to write more traditional country songs. Why? Well, because I'm in Nashville, of course. Wrong answer, Ben. You see, when I (a kid from Indiana who grew up listening to The Beatles) write a song about Texas farm life from the perspective of a father, it ends up being a mediocre song. However, if I write a song about what it's like moving to Nashville with a dream, and leave the Texas song to be written by the guy who actually farms in Texas, I believe I'm on the right path. Your creative voice is the style of your message. It takes time to develop, but is essential to writing unique songs that can stand the test of time.

Keep writing,

Ben

------

Would you or someone you know like to go on a songwriting retreat with industry professionals? Visit SongbirdCamp.com for more details!

No comments:

Post a Comment