Thursday, June 2, 2011

Questions - When?

As songwriters, it's essential to be ready to capture an idea at a moment's notice. The best and most natural song titles, stories and melodies tend to appear out of the thin air of everyday life.

When do you write songs?

I've often been asked how I'm able to schedule inspiration. Most weekdays, I meet with another collaborator around 10:30am to write a song. It would be impossible to convince my soul and mind to be running full steam ahead at 10:30am on the dot, five days a week. The reality is that instead of showing up already inspired, I show up ready to be inspired.

One tangible thing that helps is keeping a list of ideas that may catch my attention throughout my day. This allows me to look back at a list of inspiring launch points at 10:30am.

Keep writing,

Ben

------

Would you or someone you know like to go on a songwriting retreat with industry professionals? Visit SongbirdCamp.com for more details!

No comments:

Post a Comment