Monday, June 6, 2011

Questions - Why?

This is the most important question you will ever answer when it comes to your pursuit of the craft of songwriting:

Why do you write songs?

In my experience, the initial reason why I began pursuing music can tend to gradually be covered up by many things: my expectations, what others are asking of me, busyness of life, fear of creating, procrastination, self-doubt, etc. It takes a great amount of intentionality to keep the initial love for music out in the open.

We as human beings seem to always be looking to the next great thing to save us. In my pursuit of music, I've fallen into the trap of filling my mind with a list of "if only"s.

If only I could open for this band, then...

If only I could get a meeting with that record label, then... 

If only I could get a publishing deal, then...

In my mind, a successful songwriter is someone who enjoys writing songs, and is enjoyable to work with. You don't need any industry doors to open for you to be a successful songwriter. If we focus on enjoying the process, I believe we will create more beautiful art, and industry doors opening will be a by-product.

In the end, all that any of us can ever claim is that we either enjoyed the ride or we didn't. I'd rather be a happy songwriter working a side job than be constantly worried about filling a shelf with awards.

Keep writing,

Ben

------

Would you or someone you know like to go on a songwriting retreat with industry professionals? Visit SongbirdCamp.com for more details!

No comments:

Post a Comment