Thursday, January 19, 2012

Co-writer Characteristic #6 of 10: Teachability

Brittany's grandparents have always been a great example of what it means to be teachable. They are in the 80s and are still open to learning new things every day. The key to their teachability is their openness to things that don't necessarily fit into their paradigm, an uncommon trait for people their age who have "seen it all."

One of my favorite lines from any song is in "What a Wonderful World." I love hearing Louis Armstrong sing these words:

I hear babies cry
I watch them grow
They'll learn much more
Than I'll ever know
And I think to myself
What a wonderful world



This is what it means for me to be teachable: understand that I don't understand everything, and that my lack of understanding is something wonderful. I mean, who wants to live in a world without mystery or wonder?

Keep writing (and being teachable),

Ben

------

Would you or someone you know like to go on a songwriting retreat with industry professionals? Visit SongbirdCamp.com for more details!

No comments:

Post a Comment